At a very early age, Matthew arrived in the U.S.A. and was raised to crisp high altitude air, hard work, and particularly to an early love of music. His Father, a hard rock miner built his own log cabin above the town where he savored the tranquility and freedom afforded by this lifestyle.

His Mother enjoyed the solace and wildflowers amongst other things, and they soon purchased property on top of a nearby mountain where they began settling down to build a household. Early in Matthew’s life lightning struck the house, burning much of it to the ground, the mines shut down, and the small family was forced to live above the old mercantile while they rebuilt. His father found work in the public utilities for a few years until becoming a professional firefighter for the a larger city in the foothills. To bring in the additional money necessary to raise up the family his mother went to work as a librarian. Through all the hardships the family faced, music was a consistent source of strength. When there was no electricity, the oil burning lamps would be lit, his mother would tune up her autoharp, and his father break out a guitar or harmonica and they would sing songs of the frontier, the west, and of course their Celtic heritage and roots. Matthew enjoyed many of the normal interests associated with mountain living including horseback riding, backpacking, fishing, photography, reading and rock climbing.
At the suggestion of a school music teacher, Matthew was given piano lessons starting at the age of four, which he continued till the age of thirteen attending various music institutes, competitions and performing concerts as often as the opportunity afforded itself. By the age of 8, he was already performing on high school stages, his first role was that of a workhouse boy in a high school’s production of “Oliver!” He was sent to a private Montessori school from the ages of 9 – 12 where he had the opportunity to study a wide variety of fields and excelled in the open opportunity to further his education and experience.
While there he directed and wrote plays and a performance of the Christmas Revels, but he also thrived in other subjects such as archeology, planning and leading his class on an excursion to Mesa Verde Colorado where they participated in archeological digs in their study of the Anasazi Indians and other past civilizations. He still spent all of his time out of school in the pursuit of music though, having also begun to take violin lessons which he continued for the next ten years, and playing leading roles in stage productions such as a High School’s “The Music Man” where he played Winthrop (age 9).
His love for the theater flourished, continuing in leading roles for the next twenty years including The Baker (Into the Woods), The Good Doctor, Prince Charming, Dracula, Gandalf, Antithesis of Syracuse, Oedipus, and many others. Somehow he squeezed in further activities like the Boy Scouts of America and sports such as soccer as well.

Matthew had quite a shock coming out of his Montessori school when he was placed back in the public school system for Jr. High (age 13 – 15). He immersed himself in the study of fine arts, his family sent him to a school out of his normal district because of it’s excellent fine arts program. Matthew sang in every choir he could find, the Jr. High had two audition only choirs, Madrigals and Jazz which met after school, he juggled them with whatever theater rehearsals were going on at the time, and made money on the side by running the schools light and sound system for special interest groups renting the theater in its off hours.

He played first violin in the orchestra, playing both the violin and on occasion the string bass (which he also played with the jazz band). He was in the Talented and Gifted club, the book club, was an aid in the library and for various teachers, part of the yearbook committee and started the school’s science fiction club. His last year in the Jr. High, out of his class of about 350, he was voted both most likely to succeed, and most talented. His summers were played out in various ways, from working at a 1,040 acre mountain environmental education center where he began as an intern (age 14), then a field instructor (15-18), returned as Operations Director (21-22), and finally as acting Program director (23-25), to the Centerstage theater touring company (age 14 & 15), The Colorado Renaissance Festival singing Madrigals (15–17), and also as a volunteer fire fighter (16-26) where he was an EMT from the age of 21.

He attended High School with a class of about 650, where he became the president of the schools International Thespian Society Guild as a 4star honor thespian with more than 500 theater hours, sang in 7 school choirs (5 of which were by audition including Madrigals for two years and Excalibur), became president of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy club, and TAG (talented and gifted) program. Finding not enough time to take advantage of all these fine arts activities and keep up with his regular curriculum, Matthew supplemented his course load with correspondence courses from Brigham Young University, and won various awards while completing the LDS seminary program. He also participated strongly in the schools peer support team, and played various sports. During the summers when he was not working at the environmental education center, he worked at Boulder’s Dinner theater, and the Country Dinner Playhouse in Denver.

He would also go on the annual cattle drive for one of the local herds and began teaching rock climbing.

After High School Matthew served an LDS mission living in, and performing two years of community service for the Philadelphia, PA area (to places like Camden, NJ). When he returned home (age 21), he married, attended the University of Northern Colorado for a degree in Music Education, continued to take correspondence courses through BYU, became a Scoutmaster for the BSA, pioneered two very successful programs for at risk youth, and youth already within the judicial system (one of these programs still flourishes in the Front Range of Colorado), and divorced (age 25). Over the next few years (ages 25-28) he took trips back to Scotland and the Orkney Islands, Worked with the Red Cross in disaster recovery such as the Oklahoma City Tornado (5/99), went to the University of Alaska for a Journalism degree, fished of the coast of Alaska on a professional shrimping vessel, Became the director of the hospitality program for the University of Alaska at Anchorage, and upon returning home to Colorado at last became the Director of Property Management for Pearl Street Mall Properties, in Boulder.

From the ages of 28-37 Matthew co-founded and toured internationally with a traditional Celtic band called “The Muses!”, married the harp player in the band, started his own recording studio (Arkenstone Design) worked at various Renaissance Festivals both musically and in shops such as Chischilly Pottery, New Pterodactyl Leather, and Unicorn Strings.

For nearly 10 years The Muses toured through 42 U.S. States, and internationally, playing around 200 performances per year including 10 of the largest Scottish/Irish festivals in the country and countless other venues.  By 2007 they had 6 albums and a DVD out.  They were working on a new album and music video for their faithful following when in 2009 catastrophe struck.  The Muses’ 40’ tour-bus was involved in a roll-over accident which totaled the bus and everything in it.  The loss was impossible to financially recover from, and at the beginning of 2010 the band broke up leaving Matthew with considerable debt.  Matthew divorced shortly thereafter and settled in the Colorado Rockies.  In April of 2011, Matthew’s best friend (Bejorn, his dog of 15 years) passed away, then in November, disaster struck again and Matthew’s home burned to the ground as the result of an electrical fire which started inside the walls.  He was not at home, and there were no injuries… but all of his instruments, kilts, belongings, and the two new CD’s he was working on were lost.  After two years, he finally finished rebuilding in the same location, and then after living in the house for a month nearly his whole town washed away in the Colorado flooding of 2013.

Matthew’s next CD was appropriately titled “Hard Times”.

Matthew enjoys eating homemade ice cream, walking his new dog (a Newfoundland/Malamute mix named after St. Brendan the Navigator), and playing music in front of the fireplace.  After a year’s recovery and hiatus, Matthew began writing music again, has shows scheduled, and is starting to tour nationally again.